Residential Railings in Grand Island, NE
If you need residential railing for your property in Grand Island, NE, look no further! American Fence Company offers a broad selection on spears, scepters, scrolls, medallions, and globes – all the adornments you need to make your railing stand out!
Custom Made Railings
Being the number one fence contractor in Grand Island, we pride ourselves in offering a broad selection of fabrication services to our customers. Instead of just producing one kind of residential railing, we can produce one-of-a-kind railings, just right to make your home stand out.
Complement your Grand Island residence with our decorative hand railings.
Residential Railings in Grand Island, NE Gallery
Grand Island Residential Railings Overview
When it comes to putting together an elegant residential railing, an essential component are decorative adornments. Here at American Fence Company of Grand Island, we offer a broad selection on railing adornments, including spears, rosettes, scrolls, medallions, and scepters. Our custom iron handrails can be designed to suit your needs. What’s more, we employ only experienced fence experts who know the ins and outs of fabrication, the shaping of vinyl and iron. Vinyl handrails are virtually maintenance free and offer beautiful accent for matching window frames and the siding on your home in Grand Island.
Residential Railings in Grand Island, NE FAQ
When do I need to install a railing on my Grand Island, NE residence?
First, check with your local authorities and codes. In general, a guard railing is required for any surface (patio, stairs, deck, etc.) with a drop off of thirty inches or more.
What are the requirements for a railing in Grand Island, NE?
Again, always check your local codes and authority first. But general speaking:
- Most codes require a height of 36” for residential and 42” for commercial or multi-family dwellings.
- For both commercial and multi-family residences, you are limited to a maximum opening anywhere throughout the railing system of 4”.
- Check the codes governing the load barring capacity, fail point, of railings. Generally speaking, railings must not deflect more than an inch when two hundred pounds of force is applied vertically and horizontally but not consecutively. This is an issue when using vinyl and cable rail materials.
We recommend hiring a fence company in Grand Island with a long history of constructing residential railings, as residential codes and potential hazards are associated with residential railings. As railings have been designed to help prevent falls, railings need to be long lasting.
What about stair railing requirements in Grand Island, NE?
Stair railing requirements in Grand Island, NE:
- The grab rail must be specific in size, profile and location. Typically, grab rails are approximately 34” above the nose of the stair tread.
- A grab rail should be no larger than two inches in diameter or similar shape. It should be installed with few obstructions, allowing users to safely run their hands up and down the railing.
- Stairs 36” or less in width require one grab rail. Wider stairs will require more than one.
- Commercial railings often require a one foot horizontal run of railing at the top and bottom of the stairs to allow the user to grab the railing before stepping up or off.
- Handicap railings will require a one foot horizontal and vertical return at each end with a second lower railing allowing people in wheel chairs to reach the railing.
Because there are a number of requirements and codes dictating the necessary length of residential railings, we recommend working with a fence contractor in Grand Island with a long history of building and installing railings. Here at American Fence Company of Grand Island, we have amassed experience spanning more than 50 years!
Can you custom build my residential railing in Grand Island, NE?
American Fence Company of Grand Island, Nebraska fabricates thousands of different, unique railings. Our expert railing fabricators can put together any railing design you come up with. Here is our process for building residential railings in Grand Island:
- Catalogs and website photos full of residential railings designs for you to review. We also recommend that you search the web as railing fabricators and home builders are promoting more and more of their products on-line. Check out King Architectural Metals’ website for design assistance tools and views.
- Veteran computer aided design (CAD) programmers. We will provide you with a CAD drawing of your dream railing. CAD views will provide details that include material selection, all necessary dimensions and even a three dimensional view. Always ask to see a CAD view of your railing before allowing any fabricator to build your railing.
- After you have selected a design, we will field review your application. All custom railings must be field verified by a professional fabricator. Never purchase a railing locally or online without having the fabricator review your installation site.
- With five certified welders, we will build your residential railing. All custom metals products should be fabricated in accordance with AWS D1.1. AWS is the acronym for the American Welding Society. This group is the governing agency that sets the standards for steel fabrications. D1.1 is the written standard for welding steel materials. D1.2 is the standard for welding aluminum materials. Request that your fabricator build your railing to these standards.
- Hundreds of color samples and paint applications. There are as many types of paint applications as there are colors. The most popular and widely used are the following:
- HVLP. High volume low pressure paint process is the most popular application. This process has the benefit of getting paint into tight corners and angles. It is a wet paint application that should include a two coat application of a quality primer and top coat.
- Electro-Static, a wet paint application that charges the paint particles and applies an opposite charge to the railing. When the paint is applied, it is immediately attracted to the metal surface, providing a very consistent coating with no overspray. This process should be applied in conjunction with the HVLP system as electro-static paint is difficult to get into tight corners and angles.
- Powder Coating. This coating provides a plastic like candy apple coating to metal products. It is powder that is applied to the fence and then melted in an oven, creating a baked-on tough coating.
- Galvanizing leaves your fence with a shiny silver coating, seals the fence from rust and corrosion with a zinc-rich finish. Though this is a great application to prevent rust; unfortunately, most paint applications do not adhere to the shiny galvanized finish unless first brush blasted.
Because of our 50+ years of experience, you can count on American Fence Company of Grand Island to install your residential railing. As the number one fence contractor in Grand Island, we understand that a railing is integral to the appearance of your home.